Ethical Hacking is becoming a highly regarded profession in India these days and is synonymous with “Internet-Security”. It opens plenty of job opportunities in both public as well as private sector. Professionals engaged in this field primarily utilize in-depth computer knowledge and creativity to seek out the vulnerable areas in the systems so as to help companies anticipate and prevent hackers from hacking into their networks. Ethical hacker also plays an important role in controlling cyber terrorism. The specialization in this field as per person’s interest encompasses the following: C++ Or JAVA, Computer Networks, Cyber-System; Data-Security; UNIX knowledge. Keeping the present-day scenario in view, people with required aptitude and passion compete for various lucrative career-avenues in this field. For a career in ethical hacking, it is fundamental to have a strong foundation in Computer Science/Information Technology. It is recommended that students choose a combination of Science with Computer science. One can also pursue a career in Ethical Hacking after completing their B.Tech/B.Sc degree as this will give a solid foundation and enable in comprehending the concepts quite swiftly.
Is Ethical Hacking a Cybercrime?
Ethical hacking cannot be considered as a cybercrime unless the hacker disobeys the rules & does not follow the code of ethics agreement. Typically, hacking refers to gaining computer/network access without the permission of the concerned person or organization and lead to unlawful review of data, theft & file destruction. The entire process violates both federal & state laws. At the federal level, FBI investigates the hacker, and, at state level, we have several law enforcement’s for investigating the hacker. The precise crime depends on the individual who commits the crime, based on
- What system is Hacked.
- What information is accessed.
- For what purpose the information is used after accessing.
- Based on the threat for the host.
What is Cybercrime?
Cybercrime is defined as a crime where in a computer system is used as tool for committing the offence. Cybercrime includes accessing your personal information, confidential data or disabling your device. Below mentioned are few category based cybercrimes.
Types of Cybercrimes:
- DDoS Attacks
- Identity Theft
- Social Engineering
- Phishing Attacks
- Online Scams
- Illegal Content
- Exploit Kits
Work Description of Ethical Hacker
- Understand the thinking pattern of a “criminal hacker” to work as an “ethical hacker”
- Check for vulnerabilities within a computer system of different organisations
- Formulate ways of protecting information of an organisation
- Communicate with the clients and deliver written reports on the work done
- Prepare documents for self on the work that has been done to keep a tab on the loopholes
- Be transparent to the clients while going through their computer systems
- Simulate breaches to network security of an organization and take steps to detect the potential areas of risk
- Conduct advanced evaluations to identify vulnerabilities in computer systems
- Have thorough knowledge on computers, tools, programming and networking
- Remain up to-date with the latest research work and incorporate them in your system
Reputed companies like MICROSOFT, MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATION & INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, CYBER CELL, NEPAL POLICE, WIPRO, RELIANCE, Ncell, NEPAL TELECOM, IBM, INFOSYS, ELIXIR WEB SOLUTIONS, PRICE WATERHOUSE COOPERS, KPMG are always on the look out for efficient hacking professionals.