BSc In Medical Radiology and Imaging Technology
Today healthcare industries worldwide are focusing towards controlling the costs and increasing efficiency of treatment with unsurpassed patient care. The major contribution in the Diagnostic efforts is through a trained, multi credentialed, medical imaging healthcare professionals involved in the diagnosis.
Medical Radiology and imaging include capturing uncompromised, clear, and specialized images of human body parts which are beyond normal human vision into areas like the nature of diseases, powerful generation of diagnosis, and intervention.
Medical imaging studies have been a milestone in medical diagnosis and with advancing technological developments and newer imaging modalities playing a now playing a crucial role in medical imaging. Students entering this professional B.Sc degree program is imparted with diverse knowledge in multiple diagnostic medical imaging modalities including the use of X-ray, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, CT scan, MRI, Angiography and PET technologies, etc. to diagnose diseases.
4 years of academic B.Sc program including internship.
The candidate must have passed 10+2, A-Level, IB, American 12th Grade or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, English, and Biology with a minimum of 50% marks taken together in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
The employment of Radiologists is expected to grow as the volume of laboratory diagnosis increases with population growth. Students can pick up a global career in the public and private sector as :
- Radiology Technologist/Radiographer
- Ultrasound Technician / Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- CAT Scan Technologist / CT Scan Technologist
- Interventional/Cath Lab technologist
- MRI technologist
- X-ray Technicians
- Application specialist in Medical Imaging Equipment companies such as GE Health care, Philips, Siemen’s, etc.
- Research labs as a technical associate
- Coordinators, tutors, or lecturers in educational institutions
The employment opportunities are available in:
The working areas for a medical lab technician are as the following:
- Government hospital
- Private hospital
- Minor emergency centers
- Private Diagnostic Laboratories
- Private owned clinics
- Research facilities
- Prime laboratories, B.Sc/Diploma Colleges in Nepal
- Universities as clinical application specialists
- Biomedical Instrumentation companies
- Software development team (for medical imaging systems)
Candidates after their successful completion of B.Sc. MIT (Medical Imaging Technology) course has vast opportunities both in terms of higher study options and also in pursuing a profession.
Higher Studies Options after B.Sc. MIT (Medical Imaging Technology) course:
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in Medical Imaging Technology
- Master of Science (M.Sc) in any other Imaging modalities
After having successfully completed the second-semester university examination the student will be qualified to commence the clinical postings for 2-3 weeks each semester in leading hospitals. Six months to one-year full-time internship in a hospital is mandatory to enable a student to obtain the degree of Bachelor of Medical Imaging Technology.